Monday, January 19, 2009

Small Update

First Day of Sun and the Pre-Carnaval

So this past Sunday was the first day since we’ve arrived that it was warm enough and sunny enough to wear a t-shirt. At least for us, but the people from here were still in sweaters and long sleeves. I think I saw on the news that it was around 17 degrees Celsius. So… Around 60, more or less. That’s hot compared how its been less than 10° C.

This past Sunday was also the party that leads up to Carnaval. If you don’t know, there’s this thing here called Carnaval, it is basically a huge party in the town and we have a full week off from school for it. This past Sunday was the pre-party, and it was crazy! Everybody was in the Plaza de San Antonio, like everybody. I will post pictures but they don’t do this justice. So we meet up at that Plaza and pretty much the whole city is already out. There are beer venders all over the Plaza, food venders with sea urchins, which I tried and its super nasty. For those back home in Seattle, think of the Bite of Seattle but with the WHOLE city closed and EVERYBODY in Seattle went to Seattle Center. EVERYBODY, including your grandmother, your mother, father, siblings, pretty much anybody you can think of. Everybody is drinking in the streets, eating those gross sea urchins and it is just one big party. We end up leaving the Plaza and walk around and everywhere you go, there are people partying and celebrating. We were finding our way home from the beach and found our way to a small square that was over crowded and almost impossible to walk through. There were people playing drums, dancing, and just partying in general.

Never been apart of something so crazy and can only imagine what the real thing is going to be like.

Other Notes:

The rice here sucks! Its super wet, doesn’t stick together, and the rice is HUGE!

Having to go to the Plaza to use the Internet is getting kind of annoying.

I just want to turn on my iPhone and text you all but that would probably cost millions. Sorry. I do have Skype and might try to call you guys when I can since I put money on it. We’ll have to set an appointment to Skype.

The presidential inauguration is all over the news here. They even have Spanish reporters over in Washington D.C. as well.

I need to watch the Australian Open, I need some Tennis in my life. There’s clay court tune up for Rolland Garros in Madrid, Spain that Roger Federer is supposed to be playing in and I’m going no matter what. Oh, and there’s nobody to talk tennis with here. They all love Nadal. I hate him.

I wish I had more shoes here, like all the ones from back home. I brought two pairs of shoes, a set of flip-flops, and some house slippers.

EDIT: I am watching the Australian Open as I type this. Its 1:00AM over here and it is well worth it. My host parents just went to bed so now I can watch the Open! Haven’t been this excited since I’ve arrived here. I will miss the voices of American commentary but I’ll get by. All they talk about is Nadal! Andy Murray is on live, first match on one of the show courts for day two. WTF! Who starts coverage before they even warm up? This is annoying.

Australian Open prediction: Federer def. Murray 6-4, 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (6)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i empathize with you on not being able to use your iphone. i didn't bring it with me when i went to the philippines... when i came back, i used it and was like, whoa its a... touch screen. anyway, i am staying home on this friday night so i can watch... the australian open haha. later and i laughed about the sea urchins.